Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Journal #5

The movie Dive! was a real eye opener. I was well aware that food is being wasted in this country, but I had no idea how much. I was shocked to find out that half of the food we produce is thrown away. I work for a grocery store, so I see on a daily basis how much food is wasted in grocery stores. I also am guilty of wasting food at home. I have tried to be better about it since seeing the movie. I am more conscious of how much food I make and I make sure that more leftovers are eaten.
  When I first read the description of the movie and saw that people where eating out of dumpsters, my first thought was "GROSS!" After watching the movie, however, I felt differently. These people are not just grabbing rotten food out of the trash and feeding it to their children. The food is wrapped in plastic and the food they chose to take has not been touched by other garbage that would make it inedible. At some points throughout the movie, I would feel as though these people where doing a good deed by eating the thrown out food, while at other points of the movie I felt it was unfair that they got to eat for free while others have to pay for food. One part of the movie that I really enjoyed was when they took the thrown out food and donated it to shelters in need. With so many people going hungry, it only makes sense to get the food no one else wanted into the bellies of those who need it. All in all I enjoyed the movie. I wish more people would be food conscious and help those in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment